Saturday 11 January 2014

My iPod #217: Guttermouth - Cram It Up Your Ass

Um.... Okay, I know this looks bad.... let me explain.

"Cram It Up Your Ass....... really? What the fuck." That may be one of the thoughts that may have come to mind when you first saw the title. If you have come to this from my Twitter page, you may be even more confused and surprised. I couldn't put a song title like that on my feed; people wouldn't even want to click on the link otherwise.

Enough about that. "Cram It Up Your Ass" is the closer to Guttermouth's first major release "Covered with Ants" and is one of the funniest songs I have ever listened to. And one of the creepiest.

The only reason I know of this song is because all I wanted to do, when I was ten and playing Tony Hawk on the PS2, was find and listen to "I'm Destroying the World" on the computer for minutes on end. However I could never do that; I always had to listen to thirty second samples instead on random music sites. Whenever it said 'download', the link would take me to a place where I had to pay... I'm not about that life.

"Cram It Up Your Ass" is on the same album as "Destroying the World", and the title looked interesting so I decided to hear it's sample. Nothing much happened, as you can tell. Just the lead singer singing the title over a bass that was playing the vocal melody. No big deal.

That was until, years later, I found out that it turns into a proper headbanger where all the guitars play the vocal melody in unison with frenetic drums rolling around all over the place. The dynamics are a very key part of this song. The last lines "Do you still like me?" are sung when the instruments come to a sudden stop, leaving the singer all alone. That part freaks me out a bit.

It doesn't end there. After a few seconds of silence, a bloody grand piano comes in and plays the vocal melody over and over again for five minutes or so! I don't know. I cut that bit out though, that part is unnecessary.

How could I even write so much about this track.

No comments:

Post a Comment