Tuesday 2 April 2013

My iPod #38: The Beatles - And Your Bird Can Sing

1966 was a good year for England. The football team won the World Cup, Tony Adams was born, and The Beatles unveiled their seventh album to the world. Except for the USA, who wouldn't hear the album in its original form until the remastered CD in 1987.

Revolver. My favourite album by The Beatles. One of my favourite albums by any band.

Where can I start? I think that everything I would say about it has been said by almost every reviewer there is. I'll leave it to you lot to find out what they say.



Upon seeing the Beatles light in 2009, I went on any site where I could download their whole discography. 'Revolver' was one of their first albums I downloaded, and then I didn't know what to think of it. I've said many times that it takes a few listens to appreciate each song individually, resulting in an accumulated appreciation for the album as a whole. This was another of those times.

I think the fact that the songs were so short was something that made the album seem really quick to me. I would be listening to a song, and then it would finish and it was onto the next one. It was hard to get into something when the last chord faded out before your ears.

'And Your Bird Can Sing' was one example. Barely over two minutes, it's one of the shortest songs.

Listening to it again and again though, I finally understood why the song was so sick. Sick is good. Now, it's come to a point that when I see the cover, I either think of the fake countdown at the beginning of 'Taxman' or the introduction of this song.

It's actually one of the more 'basic?' pieces of the album. A straight-forward rocker written by Lennon, with dual-guitar solos by both George Harrison AND Paul McCartney, Ringo doing his stuff on the drums. It;s just a really cheerful song, with hubris at its finest in the lyrics:

'You tell me that you've heard every sound there is
And your bird can swing, but you can't hear me
You can't hear- MEEEEEEE.'

It's just a huge 'You suck. I'm great' message. It's brilliant. It's everything you want musically and lyrically, and it's only done in a short amount of time.

Then 'For No One' starts. Then you need to get the tissues. For drying your eyes.

It was clear that the band was a world away from their mop-top mania stage and had already embraced their dive into the unknown. That's why they're so great you know? They changed their sound on every album and they still sounded good! JESUS.

Revolver forever.

Until next time.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment