Tuesday 16 April 2013

My iPod #52: Klaxons - Atlantis to Interzone

If Arctic Monkeys were the newest and biggest thing in 2006, then Klaxons can defintely take that title for 2007.

The band was immensly hyped up during the latter stages of the former year, and arguably the one that started the 'new rave' genre which a whole load of other bands were soon labelled as. That whole thing died out around 2008.

The video first appeared on MTV2 in 2006. It was released as the band's official single in June, and it was one of the reasons why I got excited over them, and understood what is was that made the NME express so much praise about them.

The flashing lights, the use of the samples from a standard Casio keyboard that I've used when I was doing music in Key Stage 3 and the calm, singalong verses that are contrasted with the shouted out chorus. The video is almost seizure-inducing, especially watching it with all the lights off in the house.

But that just made it so much cooler. My sister and I watched it whenever it came on, and she loved it too. You just want to dance and bust out the robot during the vereses, and then when the chorus comes just start doing whatever the fuck you want to do. It's great stuff.

The album it's on, 'Myths of the Near Future', was released in the first month of 2007, and loads of people liked it. I have it, so I can agree with them.

Until next time.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment