Thursday 11 April 2013

My iPod #47: Big Boi - Apple of My Eye

Yeeeah. Antwan André Patton (The Only One) aka Daddy Fat Sax aka Sir Lucious Left Foot aka Big Boi in the hizz-ouse.

I'm only joking.

You all know him as one half of the influential hip-hop group, OutKast, along with André 3000.

OutKast released their most recent album, 'Idlewild', in 2006 which received positive reviews. The film it was released alongside, however, did not fare so well. After enjoyable single releases such as 'Morris Brown' and 'Idlewild Blue (Don'tchu Worry 'Bout Me)', OutKast faded away but it was okay, because they only faded away to record their next album, right?

WRONG. Since 2006, no new material has been released under the OutKast name. André has featured on various songs here and there but hasn't released any solo albums. We still love him though. He's so classy. Have you seen that Gillette advert? Mmm-mmm-mmm.

Big Boi stepped up to the plate and unveiled his debut 'Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty' to the world in 2010, which got everybody worried because they were still waiting for the new OutKast album, but was eventually recognised to be one of the best hip hop albums of that year. Then My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy came out, and everyone was less hyped about Lucious.

I downloaded 'Left Foot' in summer last year, and I found it rather enjoyable. The beats were huge, Big Boi's lyrics and flow were on par, full to the brim with hubris. Big Boi was at the top of his game, and if he wasn't getting enough respect already I would assume that he only received more after such a confident debut.

The album became one of my favourites, hip-hop wise, and it got me wondering when he would release his sophomore. As I said, I listened to the full album two years after it was released so something would have been coming soon.

It came as a surprise to me. In December 2012, I go onto Spotify to listen to an album and there under 'WHAT'S NEW', I see it:

BIG BOI - VICIOUS LIES AND DANGEROUS RUMORS


I am British, so 'rumours' without the 'o' looks quite weird but it's fine.

"Ooh! Let's listen."

So I did. Annnnnd it was good. 'Apple of My Eye' was the song that really caught my attention. Booming bass, the lyrical delivery, the chorus is an ear worm if there ever was one. I know he released 'Mama Told Me' as the first official single, maybe just because of Kelly Rowland's appearance and because it is probably the song most suited for radio play from the album. Despite this, 'Apple of My Eye' could have been that first single. It's got everything you want, a great song with only Big Boi at the reins and the soulful chorus. I would have chosen it as my first single, I'm just saying.

Overall, 'Vicious Lies' wasn't as positively greeted as 'Left Foot' was upon its release. I feel the same way too. I don't know what it is. It's hard to explain. Maybe you can have a listen to both albums, and comment on how you feel about them.

Until next time.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment