Sunday 14 April 2013

My iPod #50: Green Day - Armatage Shanks

 
 Good evening.

Today, it is Green Day again. This time, it's the opening track from their fourth album 'Insomniac.'

I listened to 'Armatage Shanks' quite a while ago on one of Green Day's fan sites. This was when I was Green Day crazy, 'American Idiot' was my favourite album and gradually I became more and more interested in the band.

I was probably about ten when I first heard 'Armatage', and I didn't think about it so much. It wasn't really a special song, the title is named after a company that makes bathroom sinks, man. Bathroom sinks. As a title of a song, it's really cool though. There is something really angst and sharp about it.

Anyone who owns 'Insomniac' will recognise the massive difference there is between it and its predecessor 'Dookie'. Whilst still containing two-three minutes of memorable tracks, 'Insomniac' took more of a darker and edgier approach. Look at the difference between the album covers, for goodness sake. The overdubbed guitars are more distorted and crunchy, Mike Dirnt really cranks it up on his bass playing on this album, Tré is as good as ever on the drums and Billie Joe is a lot more snotty in his vocal delivery.

All of that is really summed up in this track, and as the first one on the album it sets the tone that you will hear for the next thirteen songs straight away.

Can anyone tell me what is being said in the bridge, because I still have no clue.

Until next time.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment