Monday 8 April 2013

My iPod #44: Pink Floyd - Any Colour You Like

In 2009, I became a Pink Floyd fan.

I don't particularly know why or how. As a child I saw the video for 'Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)' on the TV. The band wasn't in it, and it only showed clips of children running around in a playground interspersed with the walking hammers that are seen in the film. Of course I had no idea what I had just witnessed, and was left quite confused by the whole thing.

I watched the movie for 'The Wall' when I was 13, and I guess I was just hooked from then. Bob Geldof was actually a good actor, the concept behind the album was enthralling and obviously the music played a big part. I ended up getting the double album for my fourteenth birthday.

'The Wall' is up there for being one of Pink Floyd's most popular albums. However, 'The Dark Side of the Moon' is the one that most people agree on for being their finest piece of work and one of the greatest albums ever.

'Any Colour You Like' starts rather abruptly; the song before it named 'Us and Them' segues right into it. There are no lyrics as it is an instrumental, but it's really funky and upbeat. David Gilmour, Nick Mason, and Richard Wright wrote the song, making it one out of three tracks that Waters did not contribute on.

The first minute or so is a synthesiser played by Wright, panning and echoing from one channel to the other. That then segues into a guitar solo, and the whole band joins in with additional scat singing.

I would think that most people would skip this song, but please reconsider. If you have this album, where the songs segue into each other (except one time), and you don't have this song... Well then, that just messes everything up doesn't it? It's also very important in the album's overall concept. Pink Floyd had a thing for concept albums.

Until next time.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment