Saturday 20 April 2013

My iPod #56: George Harrison - Awaiting on You All

Alright everyone, we've reached the end.

The end of the 'A' section that is. It's been a good two months.

When I first came onto Blogger, I didn't have anything in mind that I wanted to get off my chest. The first thing I had was just talking about things that were interesting to me, or events in my life that I had regrets about or whatever.

When I changed my mind and decided to focus on 'My iPod', I never thought I would be able to continuously talk about a song and why it meant so much to me for fifty-six days straight, and yet here I am about to post about another one.

I have exams. Those are very important, so I probably won't be posting on here as regularly. Maybe something will pop up here and there, but for the moment 'My iPod' won't be back until June.

And so, the song today is 'Awaiting on You All' by George Harrison, another one from his triple album, 'All Things Must Pass', in 1970.

Beatles fans will know that out of the four, George was the most religious. Or at least the one who most believed that there was an almighty, higher power who cared for the world and the people who inhabit it.

Any of you guys who also own 'All Things Must Pass' will definitely know the song, 'My Sweet Lord'. That song was George's first single as a solo artist, and topped the music charts worldwide upon release in 1970. It got to number one in the UK again after his death in 2001.

'My Sweet Lord' is a very religious song, for obvious reasons. But for those who haven't heard it, Harrison incorporates the use of the "Hare Krishna" mantra and chants of hallelujahs which build up as a countermelody whilst Harrison sings, building an epic climax which eventually fades out. With Phil Spector's 'Wall of Sound' production technique, there is this gigantic albeit very echoey atmosphere.

'Awaiting on You All' is quite religious too, and if 'My Sweet Lord' is the music that plays on the organ in church when the service is starting, everyone is sitting down and the pastor or whoever is up on the stage announcing what will take place, then the former is when the first hymn starts and everybody is up on the feet, yelling rejoice to the heavens, bellowing the lungs to the skies above and break dancing in the middle of the aisle. Maybe I'm thinking of The Blues Brothers, but that's what it reminds me of.

'Awaiting' has more of a political message to it than My Sweet Lord. Harrison desires to experience spirituality directly whilst rejecting organised religion as well as political and intellectal substitutes. That is basically what it says on the song's article on Wikipedia. He criticises the Pope, and includes jibes at John Lennon and Yoko Ono about their week in bed.

"THE LORD IS AWAITING ON YOU ALL TO AWAKEN AND SEE.
BY CHANTING THE NAMES... OF THE LORD.... YOU WILL BE FREE!"

HALLELUJAH, TESTIFY!

Come on, that sounds like something a guy would say in church, am I right? Or am I right?

Oh well. That's the end for now. You won't be hearing from me for some time. Got work to do.

'My iPod' will be back in June! When the 'B' series begins!

Until then.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment