Wednesday 17 April 2013

My iPod #53: 30 Seconds to Mars - Attack

So, 30 Seconds to Mars.

I don't like them so much, I am not a big fan.

Let me just tell you a bit about them.

In 1998 Jared Leto, known for his role as 'Angel Face' in Fight Club, and Harry Goldfarb in 'Requiem for a Dream' teamed up with his older brother Shannon. The bassist, Matt Wachter joined and the other guitarist Tomo Miličević auditioned to complete the line-up. The band released its eponymous first album in 2002, but it was the following album 'A Beautiful Lie' that rose the band's popularity.

Although it was originally released in 2005, no one in England knew who they were until it was released again in 2007. Attack was the first single, and is the opening track of the album.

My recollection of 'Attack' is quite hazy. I can't remember whether I saw it in a 30 Seconds to Mars advert, or whether the music video was on MTV2 at the time. Either way, there must have been something that got me liking it otherwise I wouldn't be typing this right now.

It's just a really energetic song. It starts off quietly with the keyboard, but after four repeats of that melody the song explodes into life. The chorus is my favourite part of the song, filled with abrasive guitars and a passionate vocal delivered with great conviction. You get the feeling Leto really does want to attack someone, particularly when he doesn't finish the last repeat of the phrase 'I'll attack' which ends up as 'I'll a-WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA'.

It's one of three songs of theirs that I have.

To summarise, 30 Seconds are alright... their just not my kind of thing. They do have good songs though. Attack is one of them.

Until next time.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment