Saturday 13 April 2013

My iPod #49: The Futureheads - Area

Hello everybody.

Today I went to Derby for an open day at its university. Derby is a nice place, it's far away from my family and the actual place was cool too. I may just consider going there.

So, I'm nearing the end of the 'A' series of 'My iPod'. Only nine more songs to go until all the songs beginning with that letter are covered. It has been a good run. It's given me something to do whilst revising. Exams are slightly beyond the horizon, so 'B' won't be up on here anytime soon.

Thanks to anyone who has viewed the blog, it's quite hard to know if anything on here is interesting if people don't comment. But I've got more than 1,000 views on here and I'm very grateful for your appreciation.

Today's song is another by The Futureheads, who were the band I covered in my first entry of the 'A' series. The video for this was linked in that post too, and now here it is.

'Area' was a non-album release in 2005. It was neither something recorded during their first album, nor was it something recorded during 'News and Tributes'. It was more of a single to show their progression in sound.

It was actually a favourite song of mine. I first saw it on the music channel, 'Q', which showed decent music from time to time. The 'derder-derderder-derderder' hook was instantly embedded into my head, and I would change from channel to channel hoping that the music video would be showing.

Before YouTube, artists would actually put their music videos on their official website, so you were able to download and watch it on Windows Media or RealPlayer. Yeah, I did that with 'Area'. I would have it on repeat. But you know when you play a song on repeat and it gradually gets quite annoying? That's what happened to me. I had listened to enough times. So I restrained myself.

That was in 2005, so finding a really good song at ten years old was a really big deal.

I think it's on the US version of 'News and Tributes', but I'm not sure.

Watch the video and see if you like the song.

Until next time.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment