Thursday 18 April 2013

My iPod #54: They Might Be Giants - Au Contraire

Hi everyone.

I'm a bit tired, and a little depressed at the moment. I can try and lighten up my mood in the post, and I'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow. I don't want to get into it.

At least the post today features a song by my favourite band. Yep.

Around the time that I discovered the music of They Might Be Giants, the album 'The Spine' was their most recent release. As time has gone on, that album is known as one of the band's least popular albums amongst fans. I like it though, it has some great tracks on it. This one is good too.

'Au Contraire' is sung by John Linnell, and makes references to David Bowie, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Jodie Foster and Mahatma Gandhi. I don't know what the song is about but from what I hear, the famous people I mention ask a question or state something in the verses to which the narrator doesn't agree to, and in reply says 'Au contraire, mon frere.'

That is basically the whole song. There is a little dual guitar solo with a little flute part at the end of it. But, yeah, that is 'Au Contraire' from The Spine.

The ending is also quite random too. Random voices just start saying 'Right on', almost like some madness mantra. This then results in a crescendo of cheers and applause, everyone is shouting 'Right on'. Then 'Damn Good Times' starts. You should listen to this song and the aforementioned one together, it's pretty cool. I have a thing for songs which segue into one another, it seems really cool to me.

I'm feeling fine now. Thank you TMBG.

Until next time.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment