Sunday 30 March 2014

My iPod #264: Green Day - Desensitized

The hours have rushed by, haven't they?

I am now back from my venture to Liverpool for the weekend, and it is time for the first of two posts.

First up is "Desensitized", a song by Green Day which was recorded whilst the band were working on "Nimrod". Apparently, they didn't feel as if it was the best to come out of those sessions. It wasn't released on the album, but as a B-side on the "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" single. However, Australians and the Japanese are fortunate to have it on their versions of the album. It later got released on the bands B-side compilation "Shenanigans" which came out in 2002.

I'd never listened to "Shenanigans" before and one day decided..... that I should. Out of the fourteen tracks on there, I only really like four of them including this one. It isn't amazing. You can tell why they didn't make it onto their albums they were recorded for. "Desensitized" had the potential more than most of the others.

Mike Dirnt, the band's bassist, completely beats the crap out of a lot of things with a baseball bat for the first twenty seconds or so. I don't really understand why, but the sounds of various items breaking upon the bat's impact segues into the song's main riff - one that alternates between G and C (I believe) starting and stopping to allow Billie Joe to fill the silences with the vocals. That's just the verses though. Listen to the song, if you like it then you're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment