Tuesday 4 March 2014

My iPod #239: Arctic Monkeys - Dangerous Animals

So...... "Humbug", the album where Arctic Monkeys started to change. Or at least embarked on a different direction in terms of sound. The majority of band members grew their hair longer, the recording process took place in California and was overlooked by Queens of the Stone Age frontman Josh Homme, all of which contributed to the moodiest* ten songs that the group have released.

It was 2009, and the Monkeys hadn't released an album for two years. "Crying Lightning" came out as the first single; many people were impressed. I didn't like it that much on first listen but it has grown on me since. Nevertheless, The Monkeys were back.

The album was released, and I thought I might as well hear it. It's a new Arctic Monkeys album, you know? I downloaded the individual songs, listened to the whole thing throughout, and didn't think a lot if it... but "Dangerous Animals" though. That got me.

"Dangerous Animals" is the third track, coming after "Crying Lightning". Straight up, it is a song about sex. If you look at the lyrics, and the title you'll probably understand why eventually.

It is a great track though. The stomping of the drums, the catchy guitar hook that never ceases and repeats until it's embedded in your brain.... The title being spelt out during the chorus. Ah, man. It's the only one from "Humbug" I have on my iPod. Just because it sounded like something that could have been on "FWN".

A cool track on an alright album.

*Not moody as in depressing, but moody as in it covers a whole range of moods. If you get what I'm trying to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment