Wednesday 26 March 2014

My iPod #261: The Offspring - Defy You

"Defy You" is a track The Offspring recorded for the movie "Orange County"* in 2001. The song was released after the band had released their most album "Conspiracy of One" the previous year, and so it was only available on its single release until 2005 when it appeared as the twelfth track on the band's greatest hits compilation. It is also their last single featuring original drummer Ron Welty, who coincidentally is focused on a lot in the song's video.

The track differs a lot in attitude compared to the band's other singles. I had heard "Original Prankster", "Hit That", "Job" and obviously "Pretty Fly" which, when you look at the lyrics for those particular examples, are quite funny songs which aren't really meant to be thought upon that much. But "Defy You's" message of never giving up and standing up for what you believe was something that I did not expect and struck me when I first saw it on the TV. This was a serious Offspring single I was listening to.

I like their 'jokey' singles, but "Defy You" is one that does not pull any punches. There are no "uh-huh, uh-huhs" or references to popular culture - only a heavy performance and a great vocal by Dexter Holland. It is possibly the coolest track the band have ever done.

No comments:

Post a Comment