Sunday 16 March 2014

My iPod #251: Billy Talent - Dead Silence

The first time I listened to the Billy Talent's fourth album "Dead Silence" (or fifth if you include their actual first album) I was lying in bed, ready to go to sleep and wake up for school the next morning. I tried to force myself to stay awake and pay attention to it, because Billy Talent are cool and it was their brand new album, but eventually I just became too tired and fell asleep about halfway through or so. However, I did regain enough consciousness to just about listen to the last few tracks.

The song is about trying to live in a time of war, with references to 'soldiers', 'machine gun fire' and 'bombs' in the lyrics, and ends with the narrator supposedly saying goodbye to his partner to join the army. Possibly. But Ian's solos, various guitar licks, Ben's passionate vocals and the pounding rhythm section of Jon and Aaron deliver a track conveying determination and hope for the future.

There is a music-during-the-credits-for-a-film vibe that I get from this track. I imagine "Swallowed Up by the Ocean" to be the music accompanying the sad ending, whilst "Dead Silence" captures the overall mood that the film delivers. I don't know why. That's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment