Sunday 23 March 2014

My iPod #258: Pixies - Debaser

"Debaser" is the crazy, loud and energetic opener to Pixies' 1989 album "Doolittle". Lead singer Black Francis wrote it after seeing a movie where the first scene shows an eyeball being slit by a razor.

I wish I had more to say about this song. But it's just one of those that hasn't had that much impact on my life than it probably has for many other people. I simply like it.

It's not the first one of the band's I listened to, that goes to "Velouria" or "Here Comes Your Man"..... maybe even "Build High" - my memory's fading. But I do think I saw the official video (above) on TV and thought "What the hell, is this even a song?" or something along those lines. Francis' yelling definitely threw me off the first time as it may do for any listener who hasn't heard "Debaser" before. But listening to it along with the other fourteen tracks that accompany it on the album, it all made sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment