Tuesday 11 March 2014

My iPod #246: Guttermouth - A Day at the Office

"A Day at the Office" is a song from Guttermouth's third album "Teri Yakimoto". I didn't find the track by actually listening to "Teri", but was listening to my own customised radio station on Launch. I always talk about this site... but I'm not sure if anyone knows what I'm talking about. It looked like this.

When the song came on, it was listed to be on the soundtrack for the film "Godmoney", a movie that I've never bothered to watch after all these years and probably won't in the near future. I also assume that the site didn't have "Teri Yakimoto" in its database or something.

The phrase 'a day at the office' is defined as 'an ordinary or typical event' by thefreedictionary.com. The track details a kid who is electrocuted by the next door neighbour, a guy who falls off a roof while his family go on a trip and eventually the death of everybody when a power plant 'blows' unexpectedly and sends deadly toxins into the sky. These are not ordinary or typical events. But obviously that's the joke.

What also adds to the humour is that the melody is really cheerful, so the lyrics don't really affect you until you properly read them.

"Pleasant dreams and thanks for listening."

No comments:

Post a Comment