Saturday 15 March 2014

My iPod #250: They Might Be Giants - Dead

"Dead" is the fifth track from They Might Be Giants' major label debut, and third album, "Flood".

I am at a loss of words in regards to it. There was something mesmerising about "Dead" the first time I listened to it in 2010; today it still raises that same feeling which I believe I could describe, but wouldn't have the vocabulary to do so.

The keyboard set to 'piano', which is the only instrument used in the song, resembles something that would accompany a silent film from waaaay back or a parade of some sort due to its major key and marching tempo. It is Linnell's depressing lyrics about not living life to the full, having regrets and people celebrating somebody's death that puts things into perspective. Happy music with sad lyrics is a thing that the band is known for, but this may be the one that really gets to me.

It is a beautiful. A real highlight from "Flood".

No comments:

Post a Comment