Tuesday 25 March 2014

My iPod #260: Billy Talent - Definition of Destiny

You know what I just figured out? Literally a few minutes before typing this, every last song on Billy Talent's albums from "Voices of Violence" to "Dead Silence" went through my mind. Despite differences in tempo, structure and everything - all of them are in D major... I wonder why that is. Do you think that they even realised this? Has anyone else pointed this out before? What the hell, Billy Talent, what the hell. They are all solid tracks, I have all of them on my iPod, but they have to use another key sooner or later, right?

On with today's song.

"Definition of Destiny" is the final track on Billy Talent's third album "Billy Talent III", the last of their usual Roman numerical naming order, released in 2009. Normally the last songs on Billy Talent albums are worth the wait, and the same applied to "Definition" too. It is quite similar to "Burn the Evidence" in that the instrumentation during the verses mirrors the reflective and observational lyrics, staying at a steady beat and keeping a cool rhythm with guitar arpeggios, before turning the levels up and continuing into a stomping and chord heavy chorus which puts emphasis on the intense message of living life to the full your own way before ending up in the casket. Good way to end an album all in all.

I won't say too much about listening to the album for the first time or how I felt waiting for its release; I'll probably save that for "Devil on My Shoulder". However, I will simply state my opinion which is that 'III' is not their best work. Some may agree, others may not. The album is okay, but not as good as their first two. The production is different (which is understandable as they used the same producer for the two before) but the tracks lack in something as a result. Less of a bite in guitar tone, perhaps. But most importantly.... there is barely any screaming. That was a disappointment on first listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment