Thursday 13 March 2014

My iPod #248: The Beatles - A Day in the Life

"A Day in the Life" is the grand finale of The Beatles influential 1967 album "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band". Many consider this to be the greatest song the group did, and see it as the pinnacle of the experimentation the four guys had been undertaking during the mid 60s.

2007 was its 40th anniversary, and it was of an immense deal that the cast of Eastenders did a cringeworthy tribute of it for Comic Relief (take some time to think before you go to this) and a whole bunch of other bands (from Stereophonics to The Fray) got together to do a cover album as a tribute too. But it was two years later in 2009, when I first listened to the album and therefore the song. I did not think that it was worth all that fuss. I found out that it was. It's still not my favourite of theirs though.

In terms of the track... I think I was looked at its article on Wikipedia one time (God knows why) and the overwhelming detail it listed about "A Day" - its background, the dates it was recorded on, the crescendos of the brass, the combination of Lennon and McCartney's separate song ideas, the almighty piano chord at the end - it made me think I was missing out on a song of epic proportions. I had to listen to it.

Funnily enough, I didn't care for it so much the first time. I was thirteen. This opinion has changed. It is one of the greatest album closers ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment