Thursday 21 November 2013

My iPod #166: They Might Be Giants - The Cap'm

"The Cap'm" is the second most popular They Might Be Giants song from "The Else" according to TMBW, coming in at #40 on the overall song rating chart. Why is this? Well, I can't speak for all of the fans who rated it. What I can tell you is why I like it though. That is probably what you expect, as that is what I have done for every song on my iPod since February.

What is probably the most interesting aspect of the song is the incongruous relationship between the lyrics and everything about the music. The music itself sounds very uplifting, from the chord progressions to the vocals. But the lyrics are from the point of view of a pretentious and egoistic narrator. Almost like "And Your Bird Can Sing" by The Beatles.... That's another song I like. Maybe, more bands should go with that formula, because the two songs I know of that use it have done no wrong.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment