Monday 11 November 2013

My iPod #156: The Strokes - Call It Fate, Call It Karma

It's quite late, but what the hell.

"Comedown Machine" was The Strokes 'comeback' album released earlier this year in March. "One Way Trigger" was the first song to be released to the world to be given the reception of "Why the fuck is Julian singing so high?" and "Am I listening to "Take on Me" by A-ha, what's going on?" Then most people were very excited when "All the Time" was revealed as the first official single. A lot of talk on how the band had 'returned to form' erupted; a lot of people dismissed it as boring.

Then the album was actually released and received very mixed reviews. Though it was unfairly judged in comparison to "Is This It" and on how the band just didn't sound the same anymore. In an earlier post I merely dismissed it as an "Angles Part II", but I haven't even listened to that album in full anyway, so I didn't know what I was talking about.

That was when I had just heard the album when it was available on Pitchfork. After multiple listens I finally came to the conclusion that it is not as bad/disappointing as reviews made it out to be. Sure it's different, this song clearly shows one of the reasons why, but I see that it is wrong to assume that a band's sound will always stay the same. You've got to change things up a bit. Look at Arctic Monkeys. Look at Alex Turner! That's just the way it is; things will never be the same.

"Call It Fate..." is the last song on the album and is one that I did not like for quite some time. It's like the soundtrack to a silent 50s film. It did take a while for me to understand whether Julian was singing, or what instruments were being played. The falsetto was a bit too much too.

It's one of my favourites from it though. It's so mellow and quiet. Close your eyes as you sail away on a tropical breeze during the chorus and then be scared as your boat drifts the wrong way and you end up surrounded by a menacing jungle when the coda begins and Julian starts wailing "I neeeeeded someoonnnnnnne...." It's very creepy, and unnerving. It ends the album on quite a menacing note.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment