Wednesday 13 November 2013

My iPod #158: The Beatles - Can't Buy Me Love

Another wonderful vocal performance by Paul McCartney. Sings it right from the gut. It was almost ear-piercing when I was always messing up the audio in Audacity and amplifying their tracks to ridiculous levels. I used to like my music very loud; I know now why audiophiles exist.

The first time I heard the song, The Beatles weren't singing it. It was a cover version that played in a Simpsons episode. From what I recall Bart and Lisa volunteer to work at the Retirement Castle and they persuade the old folk to have fun outside or whatever, which leads to a montage very similar to the original video by The Beatles which you can see above all of this.

That occurred when I was a child. I didn't see "A Hard Day's Night" until I was fourteen, so that whole montage was something that I thought was silly and comedic, rather than a parody.

"Can't Buy Me Love" is a joyful and bouncy song written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney, but mostly by the latter. You cannot listen to this song and feel sad at the same time. When Paul sings money can't buy him love, he sings it like he believes it. You want to believe him when he sings it too. This is all very cliché, but it is true. Money's bad. Love is good. Money does help a bit.... but compared to love it's nothing. Love is all you need.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment