Sunday 10 November 2013

My iPod #155: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication

The title track from the band's seventh album in 1999. It is a very serious and observational song, detailing the 'dark side of Hollywood and the export of culture through the movie industry' according to Wikipedia. Its minor key does not make things sound better either. Especially when the Frusciante's guitar and Flea's bass play off one another in the breaks between the verses and the chorus. It sounds very lonely and bare.

With that being said, have you seen the video for this track? It is so amazing. The first time I saw it I did not take in the message of the song at all because I was so immersed in the animation. I want a game like this. I want to play as a Chili Pepper and swim through seas, fall through the earth and watch the world pass me by on a giant dragonfly. One can only dream.

Of course it may not seem as cool now, but I imagine that when the video first came out a lot of people were impressed. Kudos to Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris, who have directed many other videos by the band.

Bye.

Jamie.

P.S. Check out my radio show! I hosted a new one today.

No comments:

Post a Comment