Wednesday 11 September 2013

My iPod #143: be your own PET - Bunk Trunk Skunk/Thoughts on "AM" and "Reflektor"

I'm very bored. I'm a bit upset too. I'm currently at home by myself and you would think "what's the matter with you, surely you could do anything you want?" Yes. I'm not that kind of person though. I have food in here, an eclectic choice of music on my iTunes library and a few games on my PS3. But it's not enough. The weather isn't great, and even if I wanted to go out there's nothing in my area that interests me. I may sound like a grouch, but it's true. This may be the sign that university will probably be the best thing I could have right now. Only ten more days to go.

-

For today's song, it's be your own PET again. I didn't get a lot of views for yesterday's post. be your own PET haven't been a band for five years now which may play a part in that. It may have also been the way I outlined the song. There's a range of possibilities.

"Bunk Trunk Skunk" is the second song on the band's debut album. My sister had this on her Creative Zen Micro, but did not put it onto the Windows Media Player library that was on our old Windows XP computer. So when I snuck into her bedroom and took the Zen, I made sure that I listened to the song.

I realised why she may not have wanted me to listen to the song. Even though I was eleven at the time. It's basically about prostitution, or some sort of activity which involves sex. My sis was very much against my knowledge of that subject.

The song is a real rocker. Every instrument is loud, Jemina Pearl shrieks that she is an 'independent motherfucker with barely any effort. This track is definitely one to freak out to. Not dance. Just swing your arms around and lose control. Structurally, there isn't really a chorus because everything that is said is repeated more than once, but it's at the end when the band increase in tempo before not giving a shit what they're playing. The cacophony of noise ends with a drum roll which collides into the next song. It's better if you listen to both songs together just for that moment.

Jamie.

ARCTIC MONKEYS - "AM"

Oh, you thought I was finished? Oh, no. It was only the release of Arctic Monkeys' new album on Monday! (Or yesterday, depending on where you live).

I haven't bought it yet, but I listened to the exclusive stream on iTunes. I said in my "Brick by Brick" post that I haven't been very excited for an Arctic Monkeys release for some time, and that was very much the same for "AM" too.

"R U Mine?" was supposed to be the non-album single that wouldn't appear on another commercial release, but that ended up being the second track. I thought it was OK, when I first heard it. The song really relies on its scaly riff which plays throughout most of the track, and that applies to many other songs on "AM", including the first proper single "Do I Wanna Know?"

The one thing that annoyed me on this album were the constant high-pitched backing vocals which appear on almost every song but apart from that the rest of the album is very solid. You've got more of those observational lyrics that everyone loves to hear from Alex Turner. Most of the tracks are riff oriented as I've already said. It's an album to wear a leather jacket and sunglasses to, and then proceed to nod your head to the beat.

It is clear that these are not the same Arctic Monkeys from 2006. They have evolved into this new thing - I can't explain it, they've developed this new sound. It's a totally different band. It's similar to The Strokes. People look to "Whatever People Say I Am" and automatically compare the rest of their work to it. But Arctic Monkeys have grown, Alex Turner's voice has deepened into a smooth croon sufficient to make any lady weak at the knees. I think they've reached their stage of enlightenment.

"I Wanna Be Yours" is my highlight, it incorporates lyrics from a poem by John Cooper Clarke. It has a very dreamlike atmosphere about it. That's all I say. Get the album if you're interested.

ARCADE FIRE - REFLEKTOR

Goodness me. Arcade Fire too?

Uh-huh. Arcade Fire release their fourth album "Reflektor" this October, and this is the video for the title track.

One thing to notice is how bloody long it is. It's almost eight minutes! Don't let that stop you from listening. A lot of things happen in it. I can't remember enough to tell you everything, the word "Reflektor" is sung a fair amount of times and the legend that is David Bowie is in there!

It has a relentless disco 4/4 beat, similar to Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) and there may be a lot of fans who hate that. It is produced by James Murphy of LCD Soundsystem. I'm not sure but maybe that could have had something to do with it. We'll just have to wait and see how the rest of the album sounds.

This is a very promising release though. It's very adventurous.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment