Tuesday 3 September 2013

My iPod #135: Noisettes - Bridge to Canada

SORRY. THE SONG ISN'T ON YOUTUBE.

Noisettes are a band who came along near the end of the 'indie rock/post-punk' revival that was happening in the mid-noughties. Their first video that they made for "Scratch Your Name" came on MTV2 one day, but it was one of those really rubbish ones that bands do before they become loaded. So it didn't really do the song justice. "Scratch Your Name" is a proper rocker though, with a cool riff and a lot of effort put into the vocal delivery by the lead singer. It shouldn't be a big deal but Noisettes were also one of the few indie bands with a black member in it too, which was a cool thing to see.

"What's the Time Mr. Wolf?" was the band's debut album released in 2007. The album was exclusively streamed on NME's website, and that was the first time I heard "Bridge to Canada". I've never actually paid attention to the lyrics but looking at them as I type to you now, the song appears to be about missing a loved one whilst being on tour. I always thought that there was some weird irregular time signatures used in the chorus, but it's all 4/4. It's just the way the chords are played. I can't explain it properly to you, if you listen to it you'll know what I mean.

Noisettes aren't very good anymore. At least to me. They had an indie rock sound with their debut which they could have expanded upon and added more depth, but instead they went in a totally different direction. THE POP ROUTE. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed "Don't Upset the Rhythm" and "Never Forget You" when they were about... but it wasn't the same. Shingai didn't even play the bass in the music videos anymore. The drummer left, probably because he couldn't take it anymore, and the band remain to be a two-piece. The band have three albums to their name, but I'll stick with the first.

Until tomorrow.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment