Sunday 8 September 2013

My iPod #140: Weezer - Buddy Holly

I've never been a fan of "Happy Days", but I did attempt to watch a few episodes after seeing the music video for "Buddy Holly" when I was ten. The video by Spike Jonze was something I'd never seen before. How were Weezer able to perform in front of the cast of Happy Days? How did they get that man - who I assume to be 'Fonzie' - to dance to their music? Well, the video just combined footage of the sitcom with the band performing. A stunt double helped along too. The scenes were placed at very appropriate times to add great comedic effect, and I showed the video to my friend at his house and also found it funny. Especially at the Asian man near the end making a squee face. I'd found my favourite video of all time.

"Buddy Holly" is one of the main reasons I wanted "Weezer" for my eleventh birthday. It seemed that there was no way to actually listen to the full song online. Instead I was treated to a mash-up that included the song with "99 Problems" by Jay-Z. It wasn't on YouTube though. That wasn't around. All I wanted to do was listen to the song on Windows Media Player and put it on repeat, and it seemed that getting the album was the most efficient way to do it. That was a good decision on my part. Weezer's first album is a damn fine piece of work.

Did you know the song almost never made it onto the album? Rivers first thought it would be too cheesy, but it was the persistent encouragement from the album producer that changed his mind in the end. It's nice to know that Rivers once thought about how his songs sounded one time. I've pretty much given up on the albums they've released lately.

Oh, I don't want to be mean. Rivers Cuomo is a nice guy.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment