Tuesday 10 September 2013

My iPod #142: be your own PET - Bummer Time

 

The song is not called 'Blummer Time', the person who spelt that is dumb. It is 'bummer', to feel down, to be depressed, to be disappointed in something. A bummer.


For today's post, I'm going to change things up a bit. I will take you through the song, and analyse the lyrics with you. Let's go.

Bummertime! Bummertime!  - The song's name is "Bummer Time"
It's bummertime!
BUMMER!  -
Why is it called "Bummer Time"? We don't know. We'll see soon.
(x4)

I'd think about you all week long 
- She'd think about who?
My mind constantly singing your theme song  - Oh, so it's like a character in a cartoon or something?
And did you know i looked up to you? - I've felt that way people on the TV at some point in my life.
I wanna be just like you! - Like a superhero kind of thing.

No one knows how it was for me
- She was a true fan of this person. No one else cared.
No one knows what you meant to me - She loved this person/cartoon? A bit weird.
Everyone talks about it like they were there  - Self explanatory.
All this nostalgia but nobody cares!  - Talking is cheap. Narrator is stunned at people's ignorance.
Everyone talks about it like they were there
All this nostalgia but nobody cares!
  - So stunned, she had to repeat it twice.

I woke up early just for you
- Understandable.
I waited all week long for you too - Any child does that if their favourite programme is weekly.
And there you were on my TV - Yep.
It's like you were there just for me!  - Yeah!

Bummertime! Bummertime!
- Still don't get why there's a bummer involved.
It's bummertime! - It is annoying when someone doesn't appreciate greatness.
BUMMER! - What more could possibly happen?
(x2)

When the time came I'd play along
- Like Dora the Explorer? Man, I hate that shit.
I didn't know that you'd soon be gone - Show got cancelled. Narrator gets older.
And now you're back what can I say? - Show comes back on TV. Person she admired is older.
I can't even look at you the same way! - He looks like crap. Narrator is disappointed.

No one knows how it was for me
No one knows what you meant to me
Everyone talks about it like they were there           
SHE CARED SO MUCH FOR HIM.
All this nostalgia but nobody cares!                        ALL THOSE TIMES WERE IN VAIN.
Everyone talks about it like they were there
All this nostalgia but nobody cares!

I woke up early just for you!
I waited all week long for you too
     PERSON SHE ADMIRED WAS NOTHING SPECIAL.
And there you were on my TV            HER CHILDHOOD WAS A LIE.
It's like you were there just for me!
BUMMERTIME!
                               So that's why the song's called "Bummer Time".

"Bummer Time" is on be your own PET's second album "Get Awkward". It's short and sweet, and totally encapsulates that feeling of disappointment when your favourite TV show returns when you're older and you can barely look at it in the same way you did with amazement when you were a child.

Life's a bitch.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment