Wednesday 4 September 2013

My iPod #136: They Might Be Giants - Broke in Two

Afternoon everyone.

I thought that preparing for university would be more of a strenuous task, but it appears that already I have most of the stuff I need. I have bought a few things here and there, just now I've chosen two pairs of new shoes and new socks, but it hasn't been as tiresome as I thought it would be. Life is good.

That was an unrelated introduction. I just wanted to tell you how things are going.

... I've never had an account on last.fm but without one four years ago, somehow, I was able to listen to "The Spine" by They Might Be Giants in full without any adverts. I'm very sure that I can't do that now, so it was surprising that I was able to pull it off. "Broke in Two" is the third from last track about a relationship which comes to an end. You have that situation in so many other songs; the list is endless, I know. The narrator also wants to make things better, but is very forgetful and a bit dim too. "I'm gonna run you down" does not sound like "I'm an orangutan" does it? The narrator takes this into account and admits that even though he would try to fix everything, the breakup would still happen just because of his behaviour. It's quite tragic. But it's so upbeat.

The instrumentation in the music is really good too. The opening riff was a bit of an ear-piercer, that really high note sounds like it's played wrong. But it's fine. It works. I don't know whether it's a keyboard or a guitar or both played simultaneously during the break, but how it ascends from low notes and finishes at the top is mesmerising. The song also glitches and disintegrates into silence at the end, which is intentional. It is one of my favourite songs on "The Spine", I hope you listen and like it too.

Until tomorrow.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment