Friday 6 September 2013

My iPod #137: Biffy Clyro - Bubbles

Sorry people. I know I didn't do a post yesterday, I was busy playing FIFA and NBA at my friend's house before he moves to university next week.

Those of you who were expecting a blog, I know I could have said something and I do apologise. It's only good that whenever I miss a day I follow it up with two songs the next. Here's the first.

-

..."Mon' the Biff! Mon' the Biff! Mon' the Biff!" It's only bloody Biffy Clyro!

I watched them headline the Reading Festival on the BBC iPlayer two weeks ago, and it wasn't hard to notice that there was a large decrease in reception whenever they played material pre-Puzzle and Only Revolutions. I'm not going to complain; I thought it was a bit funny, actually. I'm not saying that the people who were there weren't Biffy Clyro fans, but it was obvious to assume when they became them. It seems the band aren't into their past material so much, I think only two songs and a verse and chorus from tracks before 2007 were performed. But if Biffy Clyro enjoy their newer stuff that made them much more popular than they were before, who can blame 'em?

"57" was the first song I heard by them when its video played on MTV2. They look so young, and very clean. They're all wearing clothes, and Simon Neil has hair like Frodo. But for a band that looked so innocent, the song was very different from anything I'd listened to before. The song is good, but at the time I didn't think it was something that made me interested in the band. Later on, "Questions and Answers" came on the TV. That's nice too. It's very calm by Biff standards. That was pretty much everything I'd heard by them. But it was in year seven (2006/07) that Biffy Clyro became... mainstream. *gasp* oh my god.

I'm only joking. I feel I should save that for another time, 'cause I'll be babbling on for ages about nothing that has to do with the song for today. Bubbles! It's the third song from the band's fifth album "Only Revolutions", and was eventually as its penultimate single in spring 2010. It was a song of theirs that I couldn't stop singing to myself. It begins with a tickling lick on the guitar which is interrupted as the band begin to play. They've got that quiet verse/loud chorus dynamic going on too, just like Pixies and Nirvana, which can never go wrong if you know what you're doing. And then, just when you think the song should finishes, the band rocks out for a minute and in steps Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age to finish everything off with a guitar solo. It's crazy. It's brilliant.

Next song's coming soon.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment