Friday 18 April 2014

My iPod #284: The Kinks - Do You Remember Walter?

This is the second track from The Kinks' 1968 album "The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society", a collection of fifteen songs about living in the country, nostalgia, and general English culture. Without listening to the albums that came before it, I have come to the conclusion that the album was the group's last best one. I've heard "Arthur" and "Muswell Hillbillies" but they were such a drag to listen to. The only song on "Village Green" that I can't really listen to casually is "Last of the Steam-Powered Trains", but the rest are light-hearted, carefree, sometimes tragic but still upbeat. "Walter" fits in with those last two adjectives.

Did you have a friend in primary school who you felt was like a brother to you? Were you inseparable? You thought you could take on the world together when you were grown ups? (Or at least keep in touch with each other every day at the start of Year Seven?) That's nice. I had one of those friends.... We haven't kept in touch so much. I actually haven't spoken to him in about three years. He's got new friends; I have mine. But the memories of our times in school stay strong.

That's essentially what "Walter" is all about. I'm sure a lot of you will be able to relate to it.

There are more songs to talk about from this album. Their time will come. Have fun with this one for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment