Thursday 10 April 2014

My iPod #276: They Might Be Giants - Dinner Bell

If it wasn't for this track.... I would not be listening to They Might Be Giants today. "Dinner Bell" was the first song of theirs I heard, and I was instantly hooked. Maybe that's why I hold such a fondness for "Apollo 18". The thought that without hearing "Dinner Bell" I probably wouldn't have bothered to find more TMBG songs is quite mind-blowing, and I am very grateful that I did play when I was listening to Internet radio.

Written and sung mostly by John Linnell, with John Flansburgh providing the unusual backward vocal of the bridge, "Dinner Bell" 'indirectly refers to Pavlov's famous experiment involving a dog's reaction to the ringing of a bell after associating the sound with food.' Thank you TMBW. But I had no idea that it was about that when it came on about ten years ago. I just thought it was someone waiting for dinner. Anyway, the topic of the song wasn't what attracted me. It was the likable melody which changes against the major and minor key changes during the verses. The multi-tracked vocals panning from one ear to the other, one syllable falls right into the next becoming something of a tongue-twister. Its 2/4 signature, which keeps the track on a steady pace with every chord change occurring at the beat. And obviously the lyrics that seem to mean nothing at all, but sound right because they fit in with the song's music so well.

This welcomed me to the world of They, and I embraced it with open arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment