Monday 14 April 2014

My iPod #280: Fall Out Boy - Disloyal Order of Water Buffaloes

Fall Out Boy time. I listened to "Save Rock and Roll". Wasn't too great. And it was their first one after a four year hiatus. Disappointing. Everything sounded so manufactured and poppy, ironically. For me, "Folie à Deux" is the band's best album. It's their worst-selling one, which I don't understand. If you haven't listened to it, I suggest you should.

The album opens with this track "Disloyal Order of Water Buffaloes", a song about imperfection with a title that is a reference to The Flintstones. I don't get it either, but a lot of Fall Out Boy song titles are weird in that way. I'm not liking the way I'm sounding, I'll get serious from now on.

The song is another great album opener out of all the ones I have on my iPod. It does use the same chord progression as "Baba O'Riley" albeit in a different key - that's a random point I chose to throw in there. What I like about the track is how it never slows down or takes a breather for a bit. The track mostly revolves around the drums, played by Andy Hurley, changing in dynamics at various points like in the second pre-chorus where Patrick Stump continues to sing with sporadic multi-tracked vocals along with a noodling electric guitar, or near the ending when the "detox just to retox" refrain is chanted continuously. Plus, Patrick Stump absolutely kills it on the vocals. It seems like all the singing on the previous ones were all leading up to this particular one because here he is at his peak on every track.

"Water Buffaloes" is hard to describe if you couldn't tell from my convoluted 'summary'. It's one of those that I knew was good on first listen. You can't listen to it by itself though, it doesn't have a proper ending. Listen to it along with the twelve other tracks that follow. That's the best way to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment