Saturday 5 April 2014

My iPod #271: The Hives - Die, All Right!

It's my birthday.... yaaaaaaaaaaaaay. Nineteen years old, by the way. You wanna know how I've spent it so far? Sleeping, eating and listening to music in my room. I really should have just slept until the evening and then gone to the shops to get the drinks in preparation for tonight's antics. I was in a club in the very early hours of the morning cutting shapes to DJ Luck and MC Neat which was fun. But apart from that this birthday's turned out to be the same as every other one - staying inside with the knowledge that I have existed for another year.

That wasn't depressing at all, let's move onto the song shall we?

So "Die, All Right!" is a track by The Hives on their second album "Veni Vidi Vicious". I saw the video years ago on Kerrang! I think I was in Year 7 because I didn't have a YouTube account then and I remember looking up the video because I thought it was quite cool. I wasn't sure if it was a new song or not, because I had never seen the video before. Turned out it was on the same album as "Hate to Say I Told You So", meaning that the song was, in fact, an old track. Apart from the weird point that the band were a bit orange, the song was still very good. It's a bit of underrated one. I do like this a lot more than "Hate to Say" which can be argued to be the band's signature track. Not that that track is a bad one, I've heard it so many times that it doesn't do much for me anymore. Enough of that, I'm going off topic.

The song rocks many socks. Very quick and relentless, it doesn't stop and allow you to catch your breath. It has the characteristics of all the good Hives songs. A memorable riff (one which I'm certain has been used in an advert in the past) which repeats and repeats until it embeds itself in your brain, lots of energy and the familiar exclamatives, yelps and howling vocals by charismatic front-man Pelle Almqvist. Good tune.

Happy birthday to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment