Sunday 23 June 2013

My iPod #62 & #63: Paul & Linda McCartney - The Back Seat of My Car/Big Boi - Back Up Plan

Right. I have some explaining to do.

Yesterday I went out with friends to watch "Man of Steel", the new Superman movie. I was out for a long time, I couldn't put out my post and for that, I apologise to the small number of people who actually view this blog.

To be honest the film wasn't that good; I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Today, I bring a special two-in-one post. Only to make up for yesterday though, don't be expecting anything more.

"Ram" is the second album released by Paul McCartney after The Beatles split in 1970. However, it was credited to both he and his wife Linda, and therefore doesn't really count as a solo album.

"Ram" is one of the happiest albums I've listened to. Whereas "McCartney", his first album, was more of a collection of old songs he had written whilst he was still in The Beatles, "Ram" on the other hand gave off a sense of freedom and also a sense of closure. Paul had 'found his love awake and waiting to be' and was ready to take things head on.

"The Back Seat of My Car" is the final track on the album, and probably the most emotional. Love is a theme that runs throughout, but this is when it reaches its peak.

The story in the song is pretty simple. The couple have dreams of getting away 'along the highway' to 'Mexico City' but prefer making out in the back seat of a car unbeknownst to the girl's father who is always nagging at them. Awww. How romantic is that?

Sure, the story is short and sweet. The actual composition is beautifully performed, with calming and soothing vocals by Paul and slight changes in tempo here and there culminating in an audience participation section and a rocking outro make it perfect for the album closer.

Also, the song contains what is probably the best vocal delivered by McCartney. Ever.

I can't describe it very well, just listen to it; you'll get what I mean.

John Lennon thought this was one out of several songs on the album on "Ram" that was aimed at him and Yoko, it isn't, but you can hear his thoughts about it if you search for it on YouTube.

Big Boi - Back Up Plan

Put that bitch in smash mode.

Ooh, another closing track from an album.

"Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty" was Big Boi's debut in 2010. I wrote a bit about it in my previous Big Boi post, but all you need to know is that it was released and a lot of people liked it.

It has a completely opposite message compared to Paul McCartney. This time around, Big Boi's been cheated on or dumped or whatever, and the relationship has ended. But what does he do? He only picks himself up, dusts himself off and moves on to a new one. That being his 'back up plan'.

That is pretty much all I can say about the song. Big Boi basically tells the story of the relationship in the song, so again listen to it. It's a confident closer, I enjoy it. What could go wrong?

I hope that makes up for everything.

Until tomorrow.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment