Wednesday 26 June 2013

My iPod #66: Arctic Monkeys - The Bad Thing

I have a feeling that I won't have a lot to write about today. There's not much to say about this particular song. The band don't like it very much either, and tend to not to play it live.

Arctic Monkeys have changed.... I know this change has been occurring since they released in "Humbug", but this is ridiculous. Have you heard their new single? It's quite good you know. But you listen to that, and then listen to "The Bad Thing" for a comparison. You would think it was a totally different band.

After "Whatever People Say I Am..." became the fastest selling debut album in the UK in 2006 and spouted two number one singles in the process, Arctic Monkeys became one of the biggest bands in the country.

"Favourite Worst Nightmare" was one of the most awaited albums in 2007. I bought it from Woolworths after a day of school and listened to it at home.

"The Bad Thing" is considered to be one of the more forgettable songs from the album. I've got to admit that I can remember listening to "If You Were There, Beware" and "D Is for Dangerous" more than this one, maybe it's because it's near the end of the album - I don't know, but in recent years I have come to appreciate it a lot more.

This song uses the theme of relationships that is common throughout their debut album. This time, it is sung from the point of view from a guy who is hit on by women in relationships, and although he doesn't want to be tempted he can't help himself. Because he's a guy. And that's normal.

Until tomorrow.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment