Monday 24 June 2013

My iPod #64: The Wombats - Backfire at the Disco

Evening again.

"Backfire at the Disco" was released as a single from The Wombats' first album "A Guide to Love, Loss and Desperation" in 2007. It reached #67 in the charts.

At that time no one really knew who the band were, and so they re-released it in 2008. It reached #40 in the charts.

The band was another that played on MTV2 when they first came about on the scene, and so there wasn't a day when this song wasn't playing on the channel.

I didn't really like the song back then. The song that really got me into them was "Kill the Director", which will be coming up later many years from now.

The song includes a trademark vocal that the band used throughout their first album and then abandoned in their second. You know how on "Employment" by Kaiser Chiefs, almost every song (or single, I haven't listened to all of that album) included a part where a build up in tension was signified by an "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh *breath* oooooohhhhhhhhh woooooooahhhh ooooooooooooooh"?

Well, on "A Guide to Love" almost every song (I can say that this time as I own the album, and have listened to it) includes a "woo" or an "ooh" section, either as back up vocals or as a break between a verse and a chorus or something.

Both bands are similar in that when they both abandoned those vocals, their second albums didn't do as well. I haven't listened to "This Modern Glitch", and probably won't. I would stick to their first if I was you.

The song is about a person who goes out on a date, and it almost goes well until they go to the disco and everything goes wrong. I'm sure many people have been through this before. I guess.

Until tomorrow.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment