Wednesday 19 June 2013

My iPod #59: The Fratellis - Baby Fratelli


Apparently, 'fratelli' is 'brother' in Italian. So here we have The Brothers with the song 'Baby Brother'.

Evening, everybody.

The Fratellis are a three-piece band from Scotland. They haven't been around for some time, but around 2006/07 the band was one of the most popular indie rock bands in the UK.

I first came across the band when I was eleven - a time when MTV still showed music, and 'MTV Rocks' was 'MTV2' and a much better music channel.

"Creepin' Up the Backstairs" was their first single, but it was released as a song on their first EP and so it was not eligible for a placement in the charts. It's good, I like it. The band re-recorded for inclusion on their first album, but I much prefer the video version.

They released "Chelsea Dagger" which became their most popular song due to its memorable hook, and because it is played in many sports stadiums when a team scores a goal.

"Baby Fratelli" was the album's fourth single. You may recognise it as a song that is played in the film 'Hot Fuzz'. I've never seen that film, but the actual music video for the song features random clips of it that are thrown amongst the band performing the song on a rooftop somewhere.

Even though they are Scottish, I always get this Italian vibe when I listen to their music. Especially on their first album. I know they are called The Fratellis, and that itself is an Italian word, but it's just something about their songs. I always get a picture in my head of Italian people. And images of people doing the can-can.

The latter springs to mind in this song, particularly in the final chorus when the horns kick in.

I don't know what this song is about, I just like it.

Until tomorrow.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment