Tuesday 25 June 2013

My iPod #65: Supergrass - Bad Blood

When I was thirteen in 2008, Supergrass was the band that I enjoyed listening to the most.

I got "In It for the Money" and their self-titled album as presents for my eleventh birthday, listened to them and didn't think much of them. The songs just passed me by, you know? Except for "Richard III", which was the only reason I got the former in the first place.

Using the free music-video service that was available on my TV provider (Virgin Media ftw) I watched all of their videos from "Mansize Rooster" to "St. Petersburg" and realised that the band's music was one of the most enjoyable and exciting to listen to.

So it was no surprise that I was really excited and could not wait for the release of their then-new album "Diamond Hoo Ha". Although I was quite disappointed in the first song that they promoted from it, the almost title-track "Diamond Hoo Ha Man", it was "Bad Blood" that really got the heart pumping and the blood circulating.

The video played a big part in that feeling. You can watch the making of the video by clicking on this sentence. The weird camera shifting gave me a real sense of adrenaline, almost like being on a rollercoaster.

The song itself is a one of the highlights from the album. It's a great release of energy after the first track. With quiter, chugging verses accompanied by a rip-roaring chorus, the song is one of the best from the Supergrass catalogue of the twenty-first century.

It's a shame that this song didn't do so well commercially, and "Diamond Hoo Ha" turned out to be the band's final album after the members split in 2010. *sniff sniff*

Oh well, the music remains and the good times roll on.

Until tomorrow.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment