Wednesday 26 February 2014

My iPod #233: Big Boi - Daddy Fat Sax

"Daddy Fat Sax" is the second track from Big Boi's debut solo album "Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty", released back in 2010.

Took me quite a while to listen to the album. Don't know why. "Shutterbugg" was released as the first single from it, and I liked that. I still do. It's funky. The album got good reviews too, being cited as one of the best hip-hop albums to be released in the new decade. That was before Mr. West released "Dark Fantasy" though and received 10/10 ratings and five stars from every critic or website to exist.

But it was in 2012 (during the opening ceremony of the London Olympics if I remember correctly) that I thought I might as well listen to it. That ceremony went on for ages anyway.

The rapper announces himself to the world ("It is I, the B-I-G, the B-O-I") before telling the listener on how he has persevered, looked at the bigger picture, and maintained his game that fellow rappers fathom on his awesomeness. Scratches by the DJ Cutmaster Swiff slide in the song title during the chorus along with samples from "Xplosion", a song from "Stankonia". It all told us that Big Boi was certainly doing fine and that OutKast was still a part of him, even though he and André hadn't been together for four years at that point.

Boasting is a theme that occurs throughout the album. It shows right in the last line of the preceding introduction, but it's from this track and onwards that Big Boi never lets up. And that's good. Being half of one of hip hop's most respected groups, I would imagine life is swell. I think he's allowed to brag; he does it with such effortless flow too. My goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment