Tuesday 25 February 2014

My iPod #232: The Offspring - Da Hui

Skip to about 1:12 in the video, that's when the song actually starts.

The Offspring's seventh album "Splinter" from 2003 contains "Da Hui", a tribute to surfer group of the same name based in Hawaii.

In the track, Dexter Holland tells us that he won't fuck with Da Hui because they will fuck with him. He won't park next to a member of Da Hui, as he will not feel comfortable. He then finally warns us not to fuck with Da Hui, because eventually they will fuck with us. The video for this song gives an example of what Da Hui can do.

Lyrically, it's very dumb. Very repetitive. Simple. I did listen to this track for the first time when I was eight/nine so being the crazy, hyped-up child I was I probably didn't care at the time. In fact, those are probably what drew me to liking the song more.

Musically, it's a beast. Very very quick. Booming drums, especially those tom-toms near the end of the track and a cool guitar solo.

Short and sharp stuff. Under two minutes, so appreciate it before it ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment