Wednesday 27 February 2013

My iPod #4: Pezz (Billy Talent) - Absorbed

Hey hey hey heeeeeey.

Billy Talent is one of my favourite bands too. They/it is a band that, again, I could dedicate a whole blog to. Just because all of their albums are of a very high standard, and their songs are brilliant.

I am very bias, I've been listening to them for years. But..... they're just so good.

"Watoosh!" was their actual first album. I know, I know what you may be thinking..... "A band called Billy Talent. That's a pretty slick name...... But what the fuck is 'Watoosh!' What the fuck does that even mean?"

I don't know what it means either. But I know that before Billy Talent were called Billy Talent, they went by the name of 'Pezz'. See, that kind of makes it a bit better now right?

I got my sister to download 'Watoosh!' back in 2009 on Amazon, using my aunt's credit card. It's fine. My aunt's pretty loaded.

I had heard the first three songs, and their cover of 'New Orleans Is Sinking' by The Tragically Hip waaaaay back when I was younger, and I knew that Pezz's sound was very different from Billy Talent's sound..... but it still rocked. So I thought why the hell not?

This song is pretty much the last actual song of the album, even if it is followed up by an instrumental and the aforementioned cover.

I feel a lot of emotions from listening to the song. The first two minutes and a half are quite upbeat, the lyrics in the chorus give off a sense of optimism - looking foward to the future: 'I tried, I lied, but through the waves I'll find, yeah through the waves I'll fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind.' Very happy. It makes me feel all warm, deep inssiiidde.

And then things take a turn, not for the worst, but the whole song just changes. The singer starts whispering words under his breath, as the rest of the instruments take a break... to ease things up a bit. And from then on, layers and layers of guitar just build on and on, until the band is just rocking and the last lyrics 'I'LL RIDE YOU OOUUUUUUTTTTTT' are repeated and belted out with sheer determination. It's awesome! It's good stuff.

'Watoosh!' is a good album. Very good. I realised that most of the songs all go by the same structure. If you listen to it, you may realise this too. But's that's not bad! The structure works. The songs are all different, however similar they may be. If that makes sense. And I like all of the songs, some more than others, but...... yeah. 'Sall good.

It's probably for the best that there was another band at the time called 'Pezz'. Then they wouldn't have had to change their name and I wouldn't have 'TRY HONESTY, TRY HONESTY!' in my life.

Until next time.

Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment