Tuesday 26 February 2013

My iPod #3: They Might Be Giants - Absolutely Bill's Mood

Yo.

I don't know where to start. I could have a whole blog entry dedicated to They Might Be Giants, they are one of, if not, my favourite band ever. They've released fifteen albums, their sixteenth one coming soon, and I haven't been disappointed by any of them. I don't want to force them onto you, but if you've never heard of them and you are into the same music that I have posted so far, please I beg you to listen to one of their albums. Just one. That's all I ask.

I normally listen to an album twice before the songs really sink in. The first time I probably just nod my head to the rhythm of a particular track or try and hum to a chorus if it repeats over and over again. And this song was probably stuck in my head by the second or third time of hearing it.

I had already listened to, and really liked 'Don't Let's Start' and 'Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head', both of which are on 'They Might Be Giants' or 'The Pink Album'; when I downloaded the album back in September 2010, I was pretty excited because I didn't know what to expect.

'Absolutely Bill's Mood', the fourteenth track on the debut album isn't my favourite song on the album. I think some fans will probably agree whilst some may be like WTF, but that's just my opinion OK?

But it is still great! Once you listen to the lyrics, I think it is very clear that the song is about a crazy person. Lyrics include:
"My room is comfortably small with rubber lining the walls"
"I know monkey see, but monkey's dead for you it would be wrong"

And the total giveaway:
"I'm insane, I'm insane, I'm insane, I'm insane"

'Bill's Mood' is quite a dark song in comparison with the others, with a strange guitar in the introduction, apparently recorded over the phone, and ominous brrrrrrrrs (keyboard noises) but it lightens the mood with  pretty funny lyrics, a great vocal by John Flansburgh and great conga-sounding drums in the bridge. Nice.

Dig They Might Be Giants.

Until next time.

Jamie.

P.S. THEIR NEW ALBUM 'NANOBOTS' IS BEING STREAMED HERE!
LISTEN TO IT!

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Edit: OK, so it seems like you can't listen to it on the site. Not on my computer anyway.

BUT PRE-ORDER IT!

NOW!

EDIT 2: THE ALBUM IS ACTUALLY HERE!

OK?!

No comments:

Post a Comment